The Hartford Post Office building was constructed in 1927, originally for use as a grocery store. It operated under three owners before it was purchased a converted to a short-order diner, as Harvey & Elsie’s Sandwich Shop in the early 1950s. The shop was short-lived as Harvey tragically was killed in a car accident, forcing the restaurant to shutter. The post office relocated to the building shortly after and has been there since. Postal service was established in Hartford in 1854.