As the first settler of the Palo Alto hamlet south of the Jasper County seat of Newton, Mr. Thomas Rees had long envisioned a church building near the local cemetery. He didn’t live to see his dream, but his wife purchased a piece of property across from the cemetery and donated it to a group planning to construct a United Presbyterian Church between Newton and Reasnor. Construction began on February 14, 1870; the church was finished, furnished, and dedicated by the end of the year.
The interior was remodeled when a new organ was installed in 1890. The church continued regular services until 1921, when the members disbanded and mostly transferred to the United Presbyterian Church in Newton. Though rarely used today, the church continues to be maintained by trustees elected annually by the Newton congregation.