Located four-and-a-half miles southwest of Maxwell, the Loring United Methodist Church can trace its roots to 1863, when J.T. Overholt and family came to the community from the Evangelical Association in Ohio. Worship soon began in homes, with services later moved to local schoolhouses. A dedicated building was constructed and dedicated in July 1885, with membership exceeding 150 by 1892.
The first church was destroyed by tornado in 1907, but was rebuilt by December 22, the same year. The building remains, and the church continues to serve area residents, today.