Locust School (Near Decorah, Iowa)

Locust School (Near Decorah, Iowa)

According to the outside historic marker, the stone Locust School building in rural Winneshiek County was in operation for 106 consecutive years, an Iowa record. Built in 1854 from local limestone, the school served the newly-settled village of Locust. In 1965, five years after the school’s closure, the Locust School Society was formed to preserve the historic one-room school building. It’s now operated by¬†the¬†Winneshiek County Historical Society and open to visitors Saturday and Sunday afternoons from 1 to 4 p.m. each June through August.