In 1872, construction began on the second Kossuth County Courthouse, which featured a 72-foot high tower constructed at a cost of $40,000. By the 1930s, though, the building was labeled a fire hazard by numerous grand jury inspections. The building was structurally sound, but constantly-oiled wood floors, piles of paper records in the basement, and general deterioration made the building vulnerable to fire.
Following the second World War, the board of supervisors called for an election to issue $500,000 worth of bonds to construct a new courthouse. A vote was taken September 9, 1947, and carried with a 2-to-1 margin. High material costs prevented immediate construction, giving the county time to carefully consider plans for the new building. An architect was hired in 1952 after the board determined further use of the 1872 building was out of question.
Plans were drawn, and a construction bids were accepted in early 1953. By spring, county offices were moved to a temporary quarters and the old courthouse was torn down. Construction on the new Kossuth County Courthouse began in August 1953, and the facility was ready to be occupied by March 1955. The building’s exterior consists of light brick with steel-enforced concrete and accenting stone.
The old courthouse and hand-carved “Court House 1872″ stone were preserved from the old building. They are mounted on the east part of the square.