The first public library in the Louisa County seat of Wapello opened to the public in November 1925, with a donated collection of books. Food sales, talent shows, and other events raised money for the library to purchase new books, and in 1929, the library moved to a new facility with more space; that year, the library also officially received blessings from the city council and became tax supported.
In 1960, Louis and Lillian Keck offered to build the present library in memory of his parents, John and Anna Keck. Construction was completed the following year, with a dedication ceremony held May 13, 1961. A new reading room was added in 1989. The library is open six days weekly.