In late February 2011, Iowa Backroads published two weekend updates related to the closure and potential closure of up to 18 post offices across the state of Iowa. Since then, post office closings have been in the news on a local and national level, and the number potentially slated for closure in Iowa exceeds 270. View the latest Iowa post office closings list.
While a U.S. Postal Service memo suggests closings may be slowing for the holiday season, plans to close Iowa offices are still moving forward. A recap of related local news follows:
- Brunsville: One of three Plymouth County post offices which may be closing. Le Mars Sentinel
- Coulter: A decision to close the Frankin County post office was made. Details, including installation of cluster boxes and a closure date, have not been finalized. Hampton Chronicle
- Crystal Lake: A meeting about post office closure was held November 28. Forest City Summit
- Dedham: Postal officials are meeting with the community on December 14 regarding post office closure. The town’s put together a special web page for residents hoping to save their post office.
- Dolliver: Many of Dolliver’s 38 residents showed up for the meeting to discuss the potential closure of their post office on November 14. Estherville Daily News
- Goodell: Residents adjust after their post office closed in September. Mason City Globe Gazette
- Homestead: The post office, in operation since 1852 and housed in the same building since 1913, closed due to lease issues on Monday, November 28. Iowa City Press-Citizen
- Joice: A meeting was held December 1 regarding potential post office closure. KIMT
- Killduff: The unincorporated Jasper County town will lose its post office January 5. USPS
- McCausland: Residents are waiting for an update on the status of their post office, which is threatened for closure for the third time in six years. North Scott Press
- New Liberty: Residents fear post office closure is a foregone conclusion. North Scott Press
- Pisgah: The Missouri Valley Times News reports the post office in Pisgah may close by spring.
- Onslow: Congressman Bruce Braley met with residents in my favorite Jones County town, offering support for small-town post offices. Monticello Express
- Oyens: One of three Plymouth County post offices which may be closing. Le Mars Sentinel
- Westfield: One of three Plymouth County post offices which may be closing. Le Mars Sentinel
- Woden: Operations at this Hancock County post office will cease January 13. KIMT