Corydon is one of several small county seats along the states’s southern border with Hy-Vee grocery store serving the community. Hy-Vee, which can trace its roots to a short-lived Beaconsfield supply store just two counties away, has had a presence in the Wayne County community of Corydon since 1939, when a the “Corydon Supply Store” opened on the west side of the town square in 1939. The Hy-Vee name was applied to the store in the 1950s as part of a company-wide rebranding effort.
The location operated consecutively for nearly 17 years before a downtown fire temporarily closed the store and burned three nearby buildings in August 1956. The store was subsequently moved to a new downtown location on State Highway 2, on the south side of the square, reopening just 70 days after the previous store burned. The Corydon Hy-Vee was relocated to its present (pictured) location in 1969, in a new building just east of downtown on Highway 2. The 9,000-square-feet building is open daily from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.