Fire Department (Slater, Iowa)

A volunteer fire department was organized in the Story County community of Slater in September 1914. Resident Pete Hall was named the organization’s first fire chief, and early fire trucks were stored in the garage of the new city hall building, which was constructed three years prior. The current fire station was constructed for use as both a city hall and fire station in 1960. Both departments quickly outgrew their space, so the brick building is now used exclusively by the fire department.