The Wadena Savings Bank was organized in 1906 with a capitol investment of $10,000. After two locations within other buildings, a permanent structure for the bank was completed in December 1920. Like numerous other banks across the state and country, the Wadena Savings Bank folded during the Great Depression, closing in 1931. After five years without a financial institution, the Elgin State Bank opened a branch in the Wadena Savings Bank building. Open four hours daily, the bank branch office continues to serve the Fayette County community of Wadena today.