The first public library in the Cedar County town of Clarence was established in 1940 and occupied a room in the town hall. To accommodate an expanding collection of books, two jail cells were removed from the town hall in favor of additional library space. In 1952, resident Edna Zybell donated her former home for use as the library, where it has been located since.
A committee was formed in January 2011 to review library expansion options; by October, the committee determined expansion of the home was not feasible. A lot along U.S. Highway 30 has been selected for construction of a new library. An architectural plan is pending, but aggressive fundraising efforts are underway to generate money for the building project.
To make a donation to the library project, send a check payable to the Library Building Fund to: Edna Zybell Library, P.O. Box 450, Clarence, Iowa 52216.