In 1844, a group of early settlers organized the Church of Christ two miles north of the unincorporated Jefferson County town of Abingdon. After meeting in homes for two years, a frame building was constructed in 1846. No dedicated pastor served the church in its early days; rather, services were led by congregation members. An 1855 record shows a membership count exceeding 250.
The building was moved by oxen to its present plot of land in 1867, though a brick church building was erected shortly after. It served the congregation until 1899, when the present church was constructed at a cost of $1800. The building was dedicated debt-free on October 29, 1899.