The public library in the Pocahontas County town of Palmer moved to its current location in 1975. That year, grant money combined with proceeds from the Palmer Jubilee allowed a former chicken hatchery to be purchased for use as a community building. Though the building originally housed the city hall, it now is used exclusively for the community library.
Resident Hazel Metzger led the push to get the library into its new facility and served as librarian until her death in 1981. Bernadetta Howie served a two-year stint before Sally Butcher took over in 1983. She retired at the end of 2011; Ramona Miller is the current librarian.
The Town Hall and Public Library in the Pocahontas County town of Plover dates to December 8, 1889, when the 26 x 40 feet building was dedicated as the first permanent home for the Plover Presbyterian Church. Constructed at a cost of $1,800, the church was active for 75 years before merging with the nearby Presbyterian Church in the county seat of Pocahontas. It shortly served as an Open Bible Church before being sold to the town in the early 1970s. After some remodeling, the building was repurposed for use as Plover’s town hall and library.
In spring 1981, the Henderson and King families donated a large collection of books to the Page County community of Coin to be used to establish a public library. In May, Coin Mayor Mike Irvin appointed a committee to serve as board members for the library; they worked quickly, and the Coin Public Library was established the following month. After quick stints in an old schoolhouse and local church, the library was moved to its present building on Main Street.
Clevia Williams, a retired school teacher, Coin councilwoman and self-taught librarian, was very instrumental in developing, expanding, cataloging and organizing the early library collection. Her work is memorialized with a special bookshelf within the library. While the library is stocked primarily with donated books, memorials and gifts have allowed a few new books to be purchased each year.
The Coin Public is staffed entirely by volunteers, with financial support for utilities and other maintenance expenses coming from the city, county, and annual fundraising events. To contribute to the small library, funds or books can be mailed to 115 Main Street, Coin, Iowa 51636. The library is open six days weekly.
The first public library was organized in the Pocahontas County community of Fonda in 1901 by the Fonda Woman’s Club. The club sponsored the library for 40 years until it was taken over by the city and formal by-laws were adopted on July 28, 1941. The library shares a building with the City Hall and is open five days weekly.
The Federated Woman’s Club in the Fremont County town of Tabor adopted a project in January 1954 to open a public library for the community. After receiving permission to house the library on the first floor of the Town Hall building, the group collected money and books from local residents, churches, and organizations. A carpenter donated services to raise shelves, and the library opened in July 1956.
In 1975, the city council established regular support for the library, while additional funds were provided by Fremont and Mills County. By the 1980s, the library had outgrown its space and began looking at new locations. An anonymous donation made it possible to move to a home, which had most recently been used as The Brick Inn restaurant. A contractor was engaged, and the building was remodeled for use as the Tabor Public Library. The new location officially opened in June 1987.