The Free Public Library in Humboldt was opened and dedicated on Tuesday, February 9, 1909. According to the Humboldt Independent, the library dedication was “well attended by the ladies and young people of the town.” The dedication included a number of speeches from local and state officials, followed by an official flag raising to commence the afternoon event. Activities were scheduled to run through the evening but were briefly interrupted due to a late afternoon snow storm.
The original library building is still in use, though it was expanded and renovated in 1992. The library features an Iowa limestone exterior and oak columns and woodwork inside; construction costs were covered by a $10,000 Carnegie grant.
This beautiful public library building sits in the town square of Estherville, the county seat of Emmet County in northern Iowa. The library dates to 1903, after Estherville became Iowa’s twelfth community to receive a Carnegie library grant. The entrance was shifted when the library was significantly expanded in 1995; the renovated library was rededicated in November of that year. A nice library exterior photo gallery can be found on the official library website.
With under 700 residents in 1900, Alden was the smallest community in the United States to be granted a Carnegie library. The $9,000 library opened in 1914 and has served the community since. In 1998, a capital campaign began to add 3,000 square feet to the library including a new children’s learning and activity center. By June 2000, the half-million dollar renovation was complete, and the updated library was dedicated. As evidenced by the featured photo, the addition maintained the historical style of the 85-year-old building.
The Public Library in Glenwood is one of 50 active Carnegie Libraries in Iowa. The library was built at a cost of $7,500 and opened its doors to the public in 1907. The library underwent significant renovations in the 1980s, including the addition of an elevator on the south side of the building.