In 1862, a young girl named Jane Ashton died of tuberculosis and was buried on her father’s homestead in rural Jasper County, just north of present-day Mingo. Others asked to bury their loved ones at the peaceful site, leading Jane’s father James to officially establish a public cemetery at the spot in 1871. Twenty-six years later, two of James’ grandsons circulated a petition to raise funds for construction of a church on the site. After collection pledges ranging from a quarter to a hundred dollars, a building committee was appointed and construction began on the $1,500 building the following year. A dedication service was held in April 1898 for the new Ashton Chapel.
The church is still active today with services at 10:00 a.m. on Sundays.