The Friar-Watson Post No. 642 of the American Legion was organized in the Buchanan County community of Hazleton in March 1931. The following month, Congress formerly chartered the post, which had 26 founding members. After meeting in various club rooms, a nearby County schoolhouse was purchased and moved to Hazleton for use as an American Legion hall.
The school served the Legion until 1955, when its growing membership required more space. The present cement block structure was dedicated on January 29, 1956. The building is used regularly for meetings by both the Legion and Legion Auxiliary, along with a number of groups within the community.